Saturday, April 28, 2012

Happy Sabbath!


Sabbath on a Saturday is definitely something that will be difficult to get used to. We woke up today and went to breakfast and then I went to choir, which I know should be a shocker. We sang a really beautiful song called "The Spirit Sings in my Heart" or something like that. Then, we sang it in church.
            Church here is absolutely amazing. It is held in the big auditorium. The whole back wall is windows and looks over the whole city. The Dome of the Rock is on the left and the walls surrounding the Old City are visible from anywhere you sit. It is seriously breathtaking and becomes a little difficult to focus on speakers when you cannot look away from the grandeur of Jerusalem. Today, there were so many tourists that the whole auditorium was filled. I think the branch on its own is very small, mostly only American expatriates, but the center adds about a hundred more. It must be hard for them as we rotate through.
            Now we have to wait for a few more hours before dinner because they do not serve lunch on the Sabbath. I am pretty hungry and have learned my lesson that I should buy snacks on Fridays! Speaking of our food, I recently learned from the branch president's wife that our chef on his two week breaks in between the students coming and going goes to Turkey (or Jordan?) and cooks for the king. I guess the center stole him from one of the best restaurants in Israel and he is highly sought after. I can understand why. His food is so good and it will be a miracle if I do not gain a substantial amount of weight here.

I just got back from dinner- before my two roommates and I walked up to the Garden Tomb. It was an amazing experience. The first picture is in front of Golgatha (it seemed inappropriate to smile, but I am an American tourist, I guess). And, the second one is of me and Hailey, my roomate in front of the entrance of the Garden Tomb. Here are some pics!

There were so many tourists there today, but I have heard on quieter days kids go and sing Easter hymns. Sounds like a great place to do that! 


No comments:

Post a Comment