Sunday, April 29, 2012

Walking All the Way Around the City


Wow. Today was so great. I started off with breakfast in the Oasis, I sat with two new friends and we decided to go into the city together today. We started off at the Rockefeller Museum, which is on the way to the Old City from the center. We then stopped and got some money changed, which was an experience in of itself. The man we go to is where all of the Jerusalem center people always go and he loves the Mormons. It is also really funny that the currency exchange places here are literally called money changers. Straight from the bible. Then, we went through Damascus gate and looked around. We were close to getting lost when we got pulled in by a shopkeeper telling us that he had a "Mormon store" and we had to check it  out. His name was Nassir and he had a BYU lanyard, so obviously, it was a "Mormon store." Nassir was so sweet and let us come in and talk. He knows all about us and gave me a free scarf. Then, he went and taught me about the different skirts they sold and I bought one that is reversible can be wrapped like a bajillion different ways. It is so beautiful and will be a great things to bring back from Jerusalem. Nassir was so nice and told me to come back and ask him about any questions I had, he said he would tell me the prices that everything should be in shops and would even help me barter with other shopkeepers if they were trying to rip me off.
Next, we walked around the Jaffa gate area and ended up going on the Rampart's Walk. Which is basically walking around the whole city on top of the wall. It was unbelievable. And, walking around the whole city gave you such a different view from when you are down in there.

This is a super funny little sarcophagus. Look at the lil baby hands that are by the mouth.

This is Nassir and one of the many ways I can wear my new skirt. I think I will probably just stick with the normal wrap, but it is good to know that I have options. 
He also taught me the best way to wrap my scarf:
 And, I climbed the city wall today, no big deal.
Note: Check out my great neck purse. It is all the rage here.

All day, it felt so weird to be out and about on a Sunday. We kept referring to yesterday as Sunday and today as Saturday, which totally does not make sense. I bet it will get easier. I cannot believe I did all of this before three o'clock!

No comments:

Post a Comment