Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Separation Wall Field Trip

This week we were lucky enough to have two field trips. On Monday we went to Yad Veshem, the Holocaust Memorial Museum in Jerusalem. I still am in shock at the sadness and cruelty that was so prevalent in during that time. I think the worst part for me is that I have never realized the proximity it has in our own history. It makes me want to take much stronger action that nothing like it ever happens again.
Speaking of repeating history, we went and saw the wall separating "Jerusalem" and the "West Bank." The divisions are according to the Israeli government. They have split children from schools, thousands of people from a viable hospital and thousands of employees from their places of work. While the amount of security problems has definitely decreased since the building of the wall, both Israelis and Palestinians agree that it is not a feasible solution to any of the problems. Walking up to it just made me think of the Berlin wall. I don't really understand how so many people allowed this to happen, again.
Steph and I outside of Yad Veshem. 
Monument in Yad Veshem. 

Separation Wall. The graffiti was in English because they are targeting American/US News.



No comments:

Post a Comment