Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rockin' at the Dome

Today we had so many adventures! We started bright and early and got in the two hour line for the Dome of the Rock. We had a great time waiting in line. So, for those who care: On days like this, I bring quite a few things with me. On my back, I strap a two liter bottle of water. I then tie a lunch in a plastic bag consisting of a couple turkey pastrami pita sandwiches, cucumbers, tomatoes, fruit and chips onto my water bottle backpack (commonly referred to as a J-Pack). Then, I wear my camera around my neck and have a travelers neck pouch with some money, hand sanitizer and my Jerusalem center phone. This system works out pretty well for me. Here is a great illustration of how it works:

We look so great, I know. (We are neandrathals.) These are the stairs up to the Dome of the Rock!

So, we eventually got there and it was so beautiful. I cannot believe all of the tiling. 


I love it there and know I will be back a few more times this semester. We then hiked through the Old City, out of Jaffa Gate and into West Jerusalem where we found a nice mall and ate lunch outside of a beautiful hotel garden.  We then hiked up to this big windmill that was under construction, to the Jerusalem YMCA and then to Ben Yehuda Street for some shopping. It was a great time. We walked for about five hours straight. I worked up quite an appetite so, on the way back, we stopped for a falafel sandwich.
There are fries and falafel and tomatoes and cucumbers and pickles with a yogurt sauce in there, if you are wondering.

After getting back to the center, we made another little excursion to Hebrew University where we can access good internet and even got to go on skype and facebook, so scandalous. On our way, we saw this lil' beaut. Subey made her way all the way over to Jerusalem. I love this car.
I am making a funny/uncomfortable missionary picture face in this picture.










No comments:

Post a Comment