Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ode to Baklava

As I am sure many of you know, I am slowly trying to get myself to eat most types of red meat. Unfortunately, none of the restaurants in Turkey knew that and we were served an exorbitant amount of meats at every meal. This often left me to the rice and bread (fresh foods were off limits to us because  Doc worried about how sick they would make us.) Other things looked a little scary. 
Exhibit A:
The top left is a bitter yogurt dip, top right is a lentil squash dish, bottom left is a tomato/eggplant spread (out of the four, it was my favorite) and the bottom right were anchovy wrapped olives. No one could have paid me to try those. These were pretty typical flavors and appetizer dishes. 
Even with questionable food, we still had tons of fun-


Then, there was usually a rice and bread combo with some meatballs, and, if we were lucky, BAKLAVA followed. I do not want this to be misleading, I have had baklava before, but it just tastes better in Turkey. It is a thinly layered pastry, juicy with honey and often some type of nuts. My mouth is salivating just talking about it. It was that good. One night, after dinner (where we ate two pieces), we walked over to the Asian side of Istanbul and got some at our tour guides favorite place. That totaled five pieces in one night, which is quite a feat because of its richness. I got these:
The one on the left is a traditional pistachio baklava, the middle is chocolate and absolutely divine and the right was more of a n egg roll one. I loved them all. I guess I will have to go back to Turkey sometime again, if only just to eat some more!



No comments:

Post a Comment