Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hagia Sophia!

The last day we were in Turkey, we were so busy. Our first stop was in Izmir, and then we went to Nicea, where we sat and learned about the place where the Nicean creed was written. It was decided by the Council of Bishops at the palace of Constantine that Christ was begotten of Heavenly Father, not a separate being, which is a common belief among Catholics today. 
It was a beautiful spot. Who would have guessed that Turkey was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Every time we took a turn in the bus I was just astounded by the variety and over-all gorgeousness of the space. I don't really know what I was expecting, but it exceeded anything I could have ever imagined.




Then we headed back to Istanbul by Ferry. Did I mention that I forgot my Dramamine? It was a bit of a problem. Luckily, Doc Peterson had this miracle Tiger Balm. It was this really strong smelling paste that you would rub underneath your nose and it totally stopped my from getting sick. Who knows if it was all psychological or legal (all of the writing was in Chinese characters), but it worked miracles. 
Then, we got to the Hagia Sophia. From the outside, it looks like a huge, but simple building. 

MJ and I in the front of Hagia Sophia
It was just so cool.

Then, we walked across the way a little bit to the Blue mosque. I think it was the most beautiful inside of a church I have ever seen. And, this picture totally does not show that, but it is the only one I have. 

It was such a successful trip. More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment